Featured Post

The TKTalkie v4 - Press 6 for the Imperial March

Upgrading - the Path from v3.15 to v4.0 (Note: I had started this draft last year but never finished it, due to personal issues and cuttin...

Monday, April 11, 2016

Submission, hold.

The Southern California Garrison's OC Squad just hit their 76th member this past Saturday. For a few reasons, I'm hoping to be it's 77th member. Therefore, having addressed all the concerns I had with the armor upon my last fitting, I decided to take my own submission photos before it was too late. As I'm submitting for the Southern California Garrison, I used the steps outlined on their page here.


I'm hoping for Tier 2 EIB (Elite Infantry Battalion) with the armor as it currently is (the 501st CRL can be found here).  I've included some close-up here for further reader reference, for those things required for at least Tier 2. Unless otherwise noted, everything was supplied by and constructed per the instructions of ANOVOS.

* Rivets for the right knee ammo pouches. Rivet heads are painted white (not mentioned in ANOVOS instructions).


* Sniper knee follows counters of leg armor, no rivets present.


* Minimal gap between ab and kidney plates (NO gap required for Tier 3).


* In addition, left ab and kidney plates use three split rivets and bands to connect to each other; rivet heads are painted white (altered from ANOVOS instructions).
* Holster is affixed with two fasteners (the other fasteners have been covered to mimic the Stunt look).


* Shoulder straps have no rivets and are glued into place.
* White elastic shoulder straps with an elastic strap for the ABS shoulder straps (NOT required for Tier 2 but required for Tier 3) (NOT ANOVOS supplied or instructed).


* Rubber gloves (latex or rubber hand guards required for Tier 3).


No inside edges on the wrist ends of the forearm armor (NOT required for Tier 2 but required for Tier 3) (not ANOVOS instructed).


* Proper button color (required for all levels) and a belt with three rivet covers.


* Two male snaps in the posterior plate and one rivet in the ab plate cod piece.


* The thermal detonator's clips must be touching or very close to the cap ends.


Obviously there were other things I did to the kit outside of the scope of the ANOVOS instructions, but these were the most important for Tier 2 EIB.

Looking at Centurion specs, I'd have to make the following adjustments to the armor to be certified:

  • Eliminate the gap between the ab and kidney plates, through either getting in better shape or shimming the kidney plate (and re-doing the rivets) (Cost of new rivets + my labor in shimming, ABS paste, sanding, polishing, etc.)
  • Replace the hand guards with rubber or latex versions, cemented to the gloves ($35 - $40).
  • Replace the belt with a better 3rd party belt, like a Kittle belt or similar ($40 + my labor in transferring the ANOVOS belt hardware to the new belt; non-trivial due to eh rivets and glue used on the ammo pouches).
  • (Optional) re-do the rivets on the ab and kidney plates for better vertical placement (Cost of new rivets + my labor in shimming, ABS paste, sanding, polishing, etc.).

For reference, the helmet as-is from ANOVOS is fit for Level 3 Centurion certification (the flaws are screen accurate), although some garrison GMLs (but not all) are requiring the frown to be re-painted to remove over spray and to taper and extend it the frown,  andz/ or that the Hovi mic tips to be replaced.

I'm on hold with any building until I get approval or suggested fixes. Until then...

UPDATE: being new to the process, I've been informed that the GML will grant basic approval if the costume passes muster; thereafter, EIB or Centurion approval goes through whitearmor.net. I'll start this process once I get approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment