Featured Post

The TKTalkie v4 - Press 6 for the Imperial March

Upgrading - the Path from v3.15 to v4.0 (Note: I had started this draft last year but never finished it, due to personal issues and cuttin...

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Compelling Two Sides to Meet

After I got the kids to bed last night and did the dishes, the main task was finishing the gluing on those forearms, so I could finally match the seams up on the biceps and get those fit to my "massive" 13" guns. So I picked up the biceps and un-clamped them from their glue run last night.


Because I had to trim a bit to get the proper fit for my "massive" forearms, I was left with a pretty sizable gap in both arms. Thankfully, the ABS is pretty flexible, and the E6000 provides a firm hold once it sets up, so it was just a matter of applying the glue, getting the loose edge onto the strip, and clamping it in place.


I started with the left forearm. The first task was to ensure that the wrist end lined up and was butted against its mate before clamping. The large spring clamps make this task easy.I  then butted up the elbow end as tight as possible and applied another large spring clamp. After those where in place, ensuring that the edges were butted up as much as possible, I applied the heavier clamps, and then magnets in the middle. 


Once I ensured everything was in place and my technique was sound, I repeated the process with the right forearm. I carefully placed the pieces on the table to set for the next 24 hours or so.


Then it was just time to wait. Tomorrow I hope to do final fitting on the biceps so I can start stripping and gluing them as well.


To finish the night, I cut out the shin pieces, Pieces 24, 25, 27, & 28. I usually work while listening to classic rock on Pandora. I wondered if some of the songs were playing in the workshop when they were building armor in 1976. Perhaps, but there was probably more smoking going on too, I thought, the LOL'd.

Anyhow, and notably, these pieces don't follow the odd number = right, even number = left convention, so I'll have to make doubly sure I don't botch something up, and also number the pieces on the inside to eliminate confusion. I used the same technique as I did for the thighs, namely score & snap. The inside of the shins was tricky, but a steady hand and a relief score down the middle ensured that the inside fill came out without issue.


I'll probably start on my shins as my biceps go through their glue stage (again). Notably, another FB member on the Anovos group page is having issues mating his shins, due to the fact that the back edge is fastened with hook & loop, so clamps & adhesive won't easily solve that issue. I'm going to research UKSWrath's post on the subject, as I know he's already done these pieces, to see how he recommends sizing and fitting these pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment