Featured Post

The TKTalkie v4 - Press 6 for the Imperial March

Upgrading - the Path from v3.15 to v4.0 (Note: I had started this draft last year but never finished it, due to personal issues and cuttin...

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Thigh Anxiety

After the issues I had with the shins, I was apprehensive to work on anything else, But I decided that, while I was working to resolve the shin debate, working on other parts would be therapeutic.

Earlier yesterday, on the Anovos FB page I discovered that it was best to set future snaps using the hammer and tap method, as the snaps could be too far in towards the middle of the plate for snap pliers to work, using a snap set tool. I also found that this and more neodymium magnets were at Home Depot, although I hadn't been able to find them before. Undaunted, I want to my local HD during lunch and looked up the parts on my smart phone using HD's mobile site. Surprisingly, when I entered the location I was visiting, the page told the the exact aisle and bin where the products were located. When I found my long-sought-after magnets (to reinforce my existing squad of magnets) I literally laughed in victory. Finally, I had more strong magnets and a tap with which to set snaps in the (hopefully) near future!

The snap tool would come in handy later. Before I start messing with the ab plate though, I was going to work on a set of pieces that wasn't so easy to confuse as the shins...

THIGHS!

Armed with some knowledge from UKSWrath (which I must now take with a grain of salt but to which I still refer) and another post on whitearmor, I got to work taking out more of the inside edges and trimming the back to fit. For the former, I used the Dremel cutting disc and sanding drum since the method works for me (mess and noise aside).


As mentioned in a previous post, my cycling makes my thighs big, so nothing was removed at the top, and 1" to 1.5" was removed near the knees. I used the score & snap method, with clean-up using the Dremel for the small ends near the top that didn't break off cleanly.


After the pieces were cut, I taped them up and fit them on (best to do this wearing an undersuit or without pants, but beware scratches from unfinished edges). The pieces fit well, but I'll probably need to remove more inside edge to reduce rubbing, and perhaps cut the back of the knee out for mobility and comfort.


The fit does concern me, but it's not tapering down the knees that's the issue. Really, it's the top of the thigh that's more concerning, but if I have to shim, I probably would have needed to do it anyhow, considering almost no material was removed from the top. More trimming and fitting will be needed to see if that's necessary.


My night started out a little rough, so that's all I did for this session. Tomorrow I might attempt final trimming and start gluing strips, or work on cutting out the remaining torso pieces. The jury's still out.

No comments:

Post a Comment