Featured Post

The TKTalkie v4 - Press 6 for the Imperial March

Upgrading - the Path from v3.15 to v4.0 (Note: I had started this draft last year but never finished it, due to personal issues and cuttin...

Saturday, February 27, 2016

My Big Thighs

This post will cover a couple of sessions.

The night before last, I glued the front of the thighs together. Ultimately, these shouldn't need to be dismantled, even if shimming is required. Further, because I performed the knee tapering for the thighs pieces all on the back edges, I'll want to the front edges to me solid before forcing those back edges together.

Same steps as before - sand the edges to be glued, apply the glue, make sure the knee edges are lined up, and apply clamps & magnets.


One issue I had was, because the front strips aren't supposed to extend down to the knee, the knee edges wanted to pull apart. So what was I to do? 

First, I taped them on the front side as tight as possible. Then, I took some scraps from the front strips, sanded one side, and glued them onto the inside of the edge. Finally, I applied a spring clamp to hold it in place while the glue set up.


After a day, I un-clamped the pieces, and they looked very nice. I taped them up in the back to ensure fit, and they actually feel better with at least the front edges glued down. The knee butt joints also look wonderful with the strips glued onto the inside of the pieces.


I also cut out the last of my torso pieces so I can start sanding the edges, fitting, and planning  strapping.


Here are all the torso pieces together:


It's weird that I'm finally starting to get to a point where I need to start putting all of these assemblies and sub-assemblies together, like I'm actually going to be finished soon... maybe :P I know there will probably be some trimming to do on some inside edges, as well as fine tuning with the strapping. I do also love to tinker with things well after I'm supposed to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment