Featured Post

The TKTalkie v4 - Press 6 for the Imperial March

Upgrading - the Path from v3.15 to v4.0 (Note: I had started this draft last year but never finished it, due to personal issues and cuttin...

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Preparing for Thigh Times, and More About "Edge Returns"

I'm training for a century cycling ride in May (that's a 100 mile ride in layman's terms), so after a long ride yesterday (66+ miles), being with the family thereafter, working on dinner, etc., I took the day off of building, besides to take the clamps off the shins. The sniper knee didn't glue right on the right side, so I set more E6000 and reclamped; it should be all right by tomorrow. Speaking of which, tomorrow I plan to but the H&L tape on the shin closures as well as start removing the inside edge returns from the thigh pieces.

Because of my cycling, my thighs measure 16" near the knee and 24" near my groin. The ANOVOS pieces in total measure  near the groin n 25.5" for the right pieces and 26" for the left, so I'll be doing probably no trimming at the top, and only removing an inch or so from each piece near the knee. However, I'll need to remove the inside edges ("edge returns") near the joints before I know what I want to do for sure to ensure a fit that's snug but not too tight. The front edge returns have already been trimmed to fit the front strips, so that's at least already done. Besides, if extra room is needed, it's better to have clean front edges and shim from the back (although I'm hoping this won't be necessary).

Speaking more on edge returns:

This term is sometimes used interchangeably to describe two different things. In the 501st CRLs, the term "edge return" is commonly used to describe the raised edges on the outside of the armor, like the edges near the knees, thighs, and those near the butt joint strips. Others take edge returns to mean the inside edges on the armor that are created when the pieces are molded, that point inward towards the wearer's body (like the inside edges of these forearm pieces in my previous post). For example, the inside edges near the wrist are removed, and according to 501st CRLs, "No return edge on the inside of the front of the forearm is allowed," as having a raised edge at the wrist wouldn't be screen accurate (this might be an issue with low-grade armor sculpts, which is why it's mentioned int he CRLs)..

In the future, to reduce any confusion, I'll be calling the latter "inside edges" as to not confuse readers between those and the raised "edge returns" required at other places on the armor that obviously should NOT be removed, even when trimming a pieces for smaller troopers (at least not fully).

Sorry for the lack of pictures this post, but there really wasn't much to see besides the thigh shells taped together, which I'll snap tonight before taking them apart and using the Dremel to take out those inside edges. Plus my phone's battery was all but dead from my long ride, and it refuses to take pictures on a low battery. So I'll make up for some pictures tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment