Featured Post

The TKTalkie v4 - Press 6 for the Imperial March

Upgrading - the Path from v3.15 to v4.0 (Note: I had started this draft last year but never finished it, due to personal issues and cuttin...

Monday, February 15, 2016

Shin-anigans

Starting with the helmet again, this time it seems that the adhesive worked. I picked off the excess and got the mount back into my helmet. I removed the white interior straps and re-positioned them so that the side straps were slightly diagonal going towards rear as they got deeper into the mask, ant the top strap was re-positioned slightly towards rear. With this configuration I had enough room to easily see through the eye with my glasses on.


The one thing that's apparent is that I'll probably need to cave and buy a small fan for the mask as it gets steamy, even with the slots in the frown. But I have a Fry's near my office and an Amazon Prime account, so I'll worry about that later.

EDIT: read this post before working on your shins. A small number of kits were affected by mis-numbering of parts.

Moving back to the shins, I un-clamped the pieces and commenced to cement the outer shells to the front strip. Since the back of these shells will be fastened with H&L tape, this will be untouched for now, and certainly NOT cemented.


I have yet to address the thighs. I'll be doing some reading on uskwrath's thread to see the best method for sizing, trimming, and cementing before I tackle these. Plus, I would be able to clamp anything tonight with the shins setting up, so I instead trimmed out the sniper knee plate (#23) for the left shin and the small ammo belt (#26) for the right thigh.


I also decided to finally start trimming torso pieces, starting with the chest (#2) and back plate (#5). I had some very minor blade slip on some of the curves, but nothing that can't be polished out. Since I wanted to start piecing the upper torso together,  I'll need these pieces and the shoulder straps to start.


Scraped some skin on my thumb using the score & snap method while I was snapping. Thankfully, CA glue instantly bonds to skin and makes a great makeshift band-aid to keep me from bleeding on the armor.

Going to try tackling the thigh pieces tomorrow as I finish up the shins and start working on strapping the upper torso. Going to need to order rivet pliers from Amazon for parts on the lower torso that require snaps, and perhaps for trying future harnessing methods (of course, I'll be suing the Anovos straps initially).

More fun next session :)

No comments:

Post a Comment