Featured Post

The TKTalkie v4 - Press 6 for the Imperial March

Upgrading - the Path from v3.15 to v4.0 (Note: I had started this draft last year but never finished it, due to personal issues and cuttin...

Sunday, February 14, 2016

The Shin-dig

Before I get to then shins, I'll talk about the stock head harness. The adhesive on the H&L strips I tried to glue didn't allow the E6000 to set up properly, so I had a big mess to clean up. After trying rubbbing alchohol, I resorted to one of the best solvents - good 'ole WD40. With some of that and some elbow grease, I was able to get most of the bad E6000 and adhesive off the back of the H&L strips and the harness itself.


Once they were cleaned, I washed them in soapy water to remove as much of the solvent as possible. I also lightly sanded the part of the harness where the H&L strips would go for better adhesion. Then I dried and dusted them off. I then tried a different adhesive, E6000's close cousin, Shoe Goo, for its strength and flexibility. Back in the clamps it went.

EDIT: read this post before working on your shins. A small number of kits were affected by mis-numbering of parts.

Next were the shins, which I had measured the previous night. After final measuring and initial cutting and re-fitting, I decided each piece needed to measure 6" at the bottom and 8" at the top for a proper fit for my shins and calves.


Once final cutting and edge sanding was done, I started gluing on the strips to the outside shells, Pieces 24 and 27, as these pieces will have both strips glued down, whereas the inside shells will not. The front Strips C were easy enough - I put a line done the center lengthwise after sanding, beveled the corners, applied E6000 to the shell, and clamped them in place using the mini clamps.

Strips D are actually wider by 5mm, but this is to provide extra spacce for the white H&L strips that make up the closures for the rear calves. For these strips, after sanding, I measured 10mm, but left the remaining 15mm for the H&L strips.


I then glued the 10mm edge to the outside shells in a fashion similar to the other strips. (I also added magnets after taking the picture to increase clamping action.)


And after exhaustive measuring, re-measuring, cutting, re-cutting, clamping, and gluing (and celebrating Valentine's Day with my wife who encouraged me to buy this kit!), that was it for the night. I'll wait for these pieces to set up before doing more work next session


EPiC beer time!

No comments:

Post a Comment