Featured Post

The TKTalkie v4 - Press 6 for the Imperial March

Upgrading - the Path from v3.15 to v4.0 (Note: I had started this draft last year but never finished it, due to personal issues and cuttin...

Monday, February 29, 2016

Dressing Up on Thigh-day

Didn't get as much done over the weekend as I hoped due to an insect pest problem in the house as well as social gatherings, but I was at least able to finish cementing and clamping the thigh pieces.

 

Sometimes, when even the magnets don't provide enough clamping action, and the edge that needs clamping is too far towards the middle of the piece, tape is a good alternative. Here it's reinforcing the clamping action of the rare earth magnets int the middle. The large ceramic magnets just didn't have enough magnetic attraction for this job.

While I waited for my thighs to dry, I did a very rough fitting of the torso pieces. They were rough cut with the edges sanded down, but not trimmed.



Everything looks like it will fit, although I might need to slightly shape the kidney plate for better fit if I can't flex it into place. The butt plate might also need some shaping as it's a bit wide. Vertically, it looks like everything is in the right place, which to me was the important part. I was in a rush for a test fit as I was doing this while my youngest son was napping, so I'm hoping to try another taped-on fitting during my next session.  I still haven't received soft parts, though, so I may have to look for some compression clothes and basic black gloves in the meantime (a spare arming suit and non-rubber gloves won't hurt to have around anyhow :P ).


After more than a day in the clamps and magnets, the back of the thighs came out great. Note that I didn't shore up behind the back of the knees as I did with the front. This is because I may be cutting out the back of the knees for comfort and mobility, and until I decide one way or the other, there's no need to wast glue and material.

I've an armor party to attend on Sunday, so I may slow down a bit until I meet with my (hopefully) future squad mates and get more advice. I also have to make a list of things to bring so I forget nothing important at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment