Featured Post

The TKTalkie v4 - Press 6 for the Imperial March

Upgrading - the Path from v3.15 to v4.0 (Note: I had started this draft last year but never finished it, due to personal issues and cuttin...

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Sexy Knee and Shapely Thighs

This post is going to be "photo lite" as not a ton happened the session.

I unclamped the shins and found them to be good, although I'm worried about the right shin not settling into a closing position - I don't think the H&L will be able to pull it together. I'm going to ask around to see what can be done about it, weather I need to apply heat, use a different kind of closure, etc.

EDIT: read this post before working on your shins. A small number of kits were affected by mis-numbering of parts.

Until then, I installed the sniper knee on my left shin piece. I went by UKSrath's playbook on this one. although I had to trim off a small part of the overhang on the "stage left" side of the knee pad so that it wouldn't go over the bend on the knee. After quadruple-checking placement and penciling the contact points on the shin pieces, I sanded the contact points on shin and pad, cemented, and clamped.

I also trimmed the front edges off the thighs. After reading so many horror stories, I expected the thighs to be tough. After reading UKSWrath's write-up, though, they just seem to be just like the shins or forearms, just bigger.


The easiest way to trim the excess off the front, for me, is to use a strip to see where you want the edge to fall. Then, make three tiny marks for top, center, and bottom on those edges. With these in place, you can measure 10mm towards the edge of the piece (using clamps to help), line up the straight edge, draw the cutting line, and then cut using the score method or Dremel (moving clamps along the line to complete the cut as needed).

With the four front edges cut, I'll now have to worry about fitting and cutting. Fortunately, I've already measured my thighs and have a good idea as to how big these pieces will need to be for a snug yet comfortable fit. However, I may take a break tomorrow so I can catch up on chores, sleep, and hanging out with my dear wife.When it comes time to start fitting torso pieces, I'll probably need her expert Theater and costuming help to help my line them up for proper strap fitting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment