Featured Post

The TKTalkie v4 - Press 6 for the Imperial March

Upgrading - the Path from v3.15 to v4.0 (Note: I had started this draft last year but never finished it, due to personal issues and cuttin...

Friday, February 12, 2016

Pulling a Stunt & Pulling Out the Stops

So it occurred to me reading the 501st CRLs in conjunction with a post on the Anovos FB group that the Hero helmet is a completely diffent sculpt from teh Stunt helmets (especiallly in regards to the number of teeth in the "frown" and the general shape of it) that Anovos sold with the kit. Not that it bothers me too much, except that the helmet is Stunt-oriented and the belt is Hero-oriented. This bascially means that I'll need to remove two Chicago rivets from the belt and cover the holes, or buy a new belt. Fortunately, UKSWrath has already done the  former in a good fashion, so I'll again be using his expert notes to achieve that when I get to that point. Otherwise, what I've done on the build and what I have left to do (with the belt in addition) will remain unchanged.

That being said, I got a lot done this evening. Firstly, I unclamped the right bicep and decided it was just right. After testing the left bicep one last time, I decided it too was also fine as-is, with no further trimming. I clamped the curved edge with four clmaps, and then decided to clamp the other edge with four clamps as well. I just want the piece done, done, done.


After I was done with lefty, I went back to righty and found that one of the  seams was untrue and angled. So Iifted the offending seam, cleaned the old cement off the edges, re-cemented it, and used a large c-clamp, large magnets, and small spring clamps to clamp it true, as my other clamps were in use. It should hold fine until it's set.


Additionally, I was done debating about the right bicep. I lifted the offending edge, cleaned up the old cement, shaved about 3/8" off the overhanging edge, re-cemented it, and set the edge.



I used the smaller spring clamps on the edges, but since I was out of larger clamps for the middle, I resorted to smaller magnets and masking tape, which worked quite nicely to keep the butt joint against the strip.


And for my finale for the evening, I trimmed the front edges of my shin pieces using UKSWrath's  notes. I found the outside of the raised edge, measured in 10cm, and cut off the remainder using the score & snap technique.


After removal, I used the strips, which I had sanded on one side and put a mark lengthwise down the center, to ensure the cut was right and that there was enough materials for proper installation of the strip, when it comes time for gluing.


Tomorrow I'll be able to start final clean-up for the arm pieces, perform fitting and trimming on the back edges, and perhaps even start gluing the strips onto the front edge of the shins. It feels like I made a lot of progress today, in terms of building and experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment